Happy New Year everyone and welcome to Episode 82 of The Stem Cell Podcast. As always go to stemcellpodcast.com for all of our episodes and to sign up for the newsletter.
The Science Round Up
We begin with the world famous Science Round Up and discuss the latest science/stem cell news. Given this is the last episode recorded in 2016 we decided to recap some of the most exciting discoveries of the past year. This Science Round Up in this episode is brought to you by The Connexon Science Communications Newsletters. Here are some of the stories discussed:
- Zika is a worldwide public emergency.
- 10-year anniversary of IPS cell discovery.
- World’s first baby with 3 parents was born.
- Stem cells can make oocytes.
- CO2 turns into solid stone.
- In vivo gene editing improves muscle function.
- Arctic and Antarctic sea ice volumes drop to all time low.
- Humans are now getting CRISPR’d.
- Discovery of a new planet.
The interview with Dr. Daylon James
For the interview portion of the show, we talk to our very own Dr. Daylon James. In addition to hosting the Stem Cell Podcast, Daylon is an assistant professor at Weill Cornell Medical College in New York City where he uses stem cells as a tool to investigate cardiovascular and reproductive disorders. [Read more…]