Thanks for tuning in for Episode 58, “Heart Disease Modeling” featuring Dr. Lior Gepstein. This and all of our episodes are sponsored by Thermo-Fisher Scientific. Go to stemcellpodcast.com for all of our episodes and to sign up for the newsletter. We begin as always with the Science Round Up and discuss the latest science/stem cell news including:
- Discovery of a new STD.
- Stem cells generated from urine used to help discover new drugs for cholesterol disease?
- A new stem cell method to model diseases of the muscle.
- A stem cell company bought out for 380 million dollars.
- Impaired sense of smell may indicate dementia.
- More NFL stars going for stem cell therapies.
For the interview portion of the show, sponsored by STEMCELL Technologies, we bring on clinician and researcher Dr. Lior Gepstein to discuss his work on using stem cells to model heart disease. We talk to Dr. Gepstein about his past and current work including his latest paper published in Stem Cell Reports. Finally we close the show with our signature rant on plastic stickers on fruit. Be sure to continue the discussion on our new free forum Stem Cell Chat. Enjoy! [Read more…]